Thursday, June 28, 2012

False Summits


False Summits 
Have you ever hiked a BIG mountain?  Or ridden your bike a very long distance?  Or perhaps you ran a marathon or half marathon, an experience that is not on my to-do list.  Then you must know the feeling of a journey that evolved into a grueling, painful and long trudge.  At some point you see the end in sight....”I can do this!” Just a few more steps, around the bend, or just over that next hill, but then the sinking disappointment when you realize it was a false summit!  and somewhere in your being you must find the strength, courage, and hope to talk yourself into enduring the pain of the journey again.  It has become much longer than you anticipated.    
Those feelings of hitting a false summit are fresh for me this week.  Last Saturday, unprepared and not well equipped, I hiked and summited the highest peak in Colorado, Mt Elbert, at 14,482’ in elevation.  Just when my group of 4 were estimating the time remaining until we rejoiced at the tippy-top, we realized we were looking at a false summit - a counterfeit, the wrong one... again!   
The wrong one.... AGAIN?!  Now I am talking about meeting yet another counterfeit to the person you believe God is bringing into your life, the long awaited desire of your heart, your dream.  I know that feeling all too well, and it recently happened to two of my friends (a male friend and a female friend, but not interested in each other.) They were both exhilarated with excitement, believing that God had finally answered their prayers for a marriage partner!   The disappointment is crushing when you realize someone you’ve met, and begun opening your heart to is just another false summit.  Then the disappointment turns into anger with God to varying degrees.  But he can take it.  
Just like reaching the false summit I endured last weekend, I’ve known that same feeling when another potential man, who was perfect on paper and in my imagination, dissolves into an illusion.  “God, I don’t know if I can go any further!  I don’t know if I can meet one more counterfeit to the man I hope to marry!”   
BUT GOD!  He has created us with an amazing ability to rebound, to pick ourselves up and hope again!  To find the strength and courage to hike another 400’ in elevation to the real summit, even if it takes much longer than is comfortable.  He didn’t say it would be comfortable, He said that He is faithful, and He will never leave us or forsake us.  
I encourage you to hope today, and tomorrow, because God is good, and He IS faithful!  My male friend - well he recently met a girl that is a much better fit for him than the last crazy-counterfeit!  
Some of the verses I was speaking (declaring!) on our big mountain adventure might be just the refreshing words you need to continue on your journey to your dream of a Kingdom Marriage.  Oh, but first the lyrics to “Climb Every Mountain”, which I was singing it as I hiked, but I did not know how perfect the words are for our quest!  We are waiting for the dream that will require all the love we can give for as long as we live!  
"Climb every mountain Search high and low Follow every byway 
Every path you know 
Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Follow every rainbow
Till you find your dream
A dream that will need
All the love you can give
Every day of your life
For as long as you live” 

Righteousness will go before Him,
And shall make His footsteps our pathway.” 

And shall make His footsteps our pathway.”  (Psalm 85:13 NKJV)

For the vision is yet for an appointed time and it hastens to the end [fulfillment]; it will not deceive or disappoint. Though it tarry, wait [earnestly] for it, because it will surely come; it will not be behindhand on its appointed day.”  (Habakkuk 2:3 Amplified)
 "The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds’ feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]!”  (Habakkuk 3:19 Amplified)
Take the next step!  God’s promises will be fulfilled!!
AMEN!  [so be it!]”  
Expecting to be amazed ~
Barbara
© Barbara Nelson – 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment