Friday, October 12, 2012

Running Brides


"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."  When Harry Met Sally



I may not know WHO that somebody is, but I can see him, and I have decided to run.  (Not literally, because I gave up running many years ago!)  I am choosing to run to the vision I have for my future, and not get stuck in the present. That run might require some protective gear!  (see Ephesians 6:10-18
"My brethren, count it all joy, when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.  But let patience have its perfect (mature) work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."  James 1:2
I always thought that verse meant that I should be happy when life is not going as I had hoped, according to MY plan, thanking God for everything, when my emotions are anything but happy.  “Put on a happy face!”  How long can we keep up the false front before it crumbles into a bigger mess?  

While washing dishes one day with the radio on, Dr Jeremiah, who I rarely listen to, was talking about James 1:2, and what I heard captured my attention.  

“COUNT IT” in James 1:2 does not mean that we are thankful for the trial.  It means that we see how God is going to use the trial in our lives, and we can be joyful as we envision the outcome, and thank God for the victory!  

I looked up the word "count it" from James 1:2 in Strong's, and this is what I found:  
1) to lead 
a) to go before
b) to be a leader
1) to rule, command 2) to have authority over 3) a prince, of regal power, governor, viceroy, chief, leading as respects influence, controlling in counsel, overseers or leaders of the churches 4) used of any kind of leader, chief, commander 5) the leader in speech, chief, spokesman 2) to consider, deem, account, think 

So, my interpretation of James 1:2 is that when we go through the storms and various trials, we are to envision the future, the victory, the marriage, and then lead, and take AUTHORITY over the discouragement and darkness that tries to keep us stuck, crushed and ineffective!

Yesterday as I was walking and praying, I imagined myself full of real joy, with a Godly husband, and I thanked God for that which is to come!  I am choosing to walk through the challenges of today with joy, knowing that the future vision is getting closer every day!  

No, I am running! 
"...And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.  We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.  Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame."  Hebrews 12:1-2 NLT

I will leave you with the definition of the word "endures"  from my bible notes:  
Strong's 5278  "To hold one's ground in conflict, bear up against adversity, hold out under stress, stand firm, persevere under pressure, wait calmly and courageously.  It is not passive resignation to fate and mere patience, but the active, energetic resistance to defeat that allows calm and brave endurance.  

May God give you endurance today, and I pray that as you close your eyes, and wait, you will see His vision for your future.  Then run towards that goal with Joy!  

We declare that we are MORE than conquerors in Christ Jesus!   We believe that our desire for marriage is from You, because You say that it is not good for man and woman to be alone.  So we agree with Your plans for our lives, to give us (those of us praying, and the other people called to partner with us in a Kingdom marriage) a future and a hope, to prosper us and not to harm us; to bring powerful people together for powerful marriages.  
We choose to endure these present challenges of life with the Joy of the Lord as our strength.  Thank you LORD for the active, energetic resistance to defeat that allows calm and brave endurance.  We declare that our eyes are on You Jesus; and our hope is in You.  
Let's run!

Amen!

Expecting to be amazed ~

Barbara
© Barbara Nelson – 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment