Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Prince and His Ford


The Prince Charming arrived in his trusty, beat-up old Ford, the fulfillment of my lifelong dream of a happily-ever-after marriage seemed to becoming a reality.  The answer to so many prayers and declarations prayed over many years...  or so I thought.   Sam (not his real name) and I were talking about our future together, marriage, where we would live, and our exciting adventures of traveling the world.  I believed he was God’s man for me, and my hopes and dreams were evolving into images of our life together.    

More confirmation came at a ministry gathering, when a woman prayed for the two of us, even suggesting we hold hands, and she prayed, “Your marriage will be a testimony of a Godly marriage and unity.”  I knew the woman could see that I did not have a ring on my left hand, but apparently she missed that telling detail.  

It seemed that Sam was the answer to my prayers.  I decided that he was the result or outcome of the 40 Days of Declarations.  I thought Sam was going to be my testimony.  Then I could tell you that if you do what I did, then you too will see the handsome prince ride up on his white horse (beat up Ford), and carry you off into the sunset!   

After he severely found fault with my physical appearance, a story for another day, he drove off in that Ford sedan without me.  I thanked God for revealing the truth about Sam, but that blow was more painful than any I had experienced in the past.  Why did I need to go through that experience?  Now I see that I ignored a few red flags, and I tried to help God with the answer to my prayers.  

One thing I have learned is that God is not a formula god.  This blog & the prayers we pray are not a “do this, and you will get that” kind of thing.  God’s desire is to have an intimate relationship with us, and to refine us into people who love Him and trust His goodness, no matter what.   

The formula might actually be that every day, several times a day, you have a choice.  Do you believe God is good?   And are you going to choose to have faith in a Good God, or are you going to agree with the voices of fear and doubt?  
Will you choose to hope again, even when the blows of life and relationship continue to come.  

Today my prayer for you is from Romans 4:18 - that you like Abraham will believe in HOPE.....   
 “...Who against hope believed in hope...”  (Romans 4:18 NKJV)  

“When everything was hopeless, Abraham believed anyway, deciding to live not on the basis of what he saw he couldn't do but on what God said he would do.”  (Romans 4:18 the Message)

May your hope be restored, and your heart be glad today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment