Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pursue Righteousness - 40 Days of Prayer and Blessing

Day 14 – (26th of January)

Prayer for your 10+ men (2 Timothy 2:22-25) 
  • Pursue righteousness, faith love and peace
  • Do not have anything to do with foolish or stupid arguments
  • Be kind to everyone & able to teach
  • Do not be resentful & gently instruct those who oppose them
Prayer for yourself:
You are the salt of the earth…You are the light of the world.  A city set on a hill cannot be hidden…(Matthew 5)


Before I looked at the prayers for today, I was thinking about the word "righteousness", and I was planning to look up the definition to satisfy my curiosity about the meaning of the word in the context of the bible.  I have been curious because I met a very nice man recently who is going through a divorce.  His hope was to go through marriage counseling with his wife to work out their issues.  However, his future-x-wife told him that counseling was not an option and the only thing he could do to restore the marriage was to spend a year alone (and they have 5 kids) and become righteous with God, because he is not a righteous man.  
Whoa!  That is not the loving Jesus I know.   (I will add that the couple is Mormon.) 


Religion is about what we DO.  Jesus said it is DONE.  


The definition of Righteousness (Greek Dikaiosune, Strong's #1343) in my bible says this:  
"Just, the quality of being right.  Broadly, the word suggests conformity to the revealed will of God in all respects.  Dikaiosune is both judicial and gracious.  God declares the believer righteous, in the sense of acquitting him, and imparts righteousness to him." (see 2 Corinthians 5:21)
It is done!   Relax!  Enjoy life!


My paraphrase is - "Pursue God, have fun, and receive the lavish love of the Father who declares you righteous!"  



AMEN!  
Expecting to be amazed ~
Barbara
© Barbara Nelson – 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment